Friday, January 19, 2007

A private commission





This week I started a private commission, a watercolor portrait for a birthday gift. At first my client wanted a caricature-ish portrait, not too exaggerated, so that's what the first sketch was. After the first sketch, the client decided to go for more of a portrait-caricature, more portrait than caricature. I didn't mind, I prefer the second sketch over the first anyways.

I started the final painting today, painting with Winsor and Newton watercolors on 140 lb cold press paper. I'm going for a loose, washy, fine art approach, so the final and end result will have a much different feel and look than the sketch shown here. So far it's been a fun challenge because the photo that I'm painting from is black and white, and the final has to be in color, so I'm using a few Rockwell paintings that I like for reference; which is appropriate because that's the feel my client wanted.

5 Comments:

Blogger MICHEL CASADO said...

Don´t disturb You when a client decide to change the original idea?
Anyway I prefer the second too, good contrast between the blue eyes and the bottom. It seems a finish work!

5:41 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Michel, it used to bug me a lot, but you get used to it. Clients or art directors tend to change things a lot, change their idea or whatever. It's all part of the job. It does get frustrating at times, not much you can do about it.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:14 PM  
Blogger patrick mate said...

Thanks for your visit Jason .Your work is superb.Really great caricature .Take care

1:52 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you Patrick, I check out your blog often, great work!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners