Saturday, December 06, 2008

Jeb Bush for The Weekly Standard




This was a one day turn around for The Weekly Standard. I started with sketches around 8:00 a.m. Friday morning and finished with the painting around 8:00 p.m. that night. With a quick job like this, I have to pace myself . . . I need to spend a certain amount of time on each part of the painting, face, hands etc . . . if I don't do this, I end up spending too much time in one area and not enough in other areas.

I find that hands take me just as long to draw and paint as the face, hands are just as important as the face to get right. So for this piece I wish had more time to spend on the hands but because of the tight turnaround I decided to focus more on Jeb's face . . . once I got it to a certain point I began to loosen up towards the edges of his face and continued with this throughout the rest of the body.

For the background I would have rather had a lighter and brighter blue sky, but because of type reading well against the background, I had to paint the sky much darker. Because of this, the background ended up a bit gloomy compared to what my first intentions had been for the piece.

Overall it was a fun piece to work on, Jeb's has an interesting face. It's similar to his older brother yet has its own interesting qualities, somewhat like a heavier George Bush.





Quick sketch . . . working out an idea for the body type.






Starting to block in the idea given to my by the a.d.




Making adjustments to the tree line and composition . . .

10 Comments:

Blogger Tim Bye said...

Stunning piece - great flesh tones and I love the sketch lines too!!!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Jason! especially under time restraints. I like the sketchy lines all over. I always have to work harder on hands too... it's either a direct hit or miss with hands ;) Good job!

11:32 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Thx for taking the time to share the process Jason. Pacing is very important especially with the time ticking. When time is the adversary a plan is crucial.. and you've shown the proof of a well planned plan.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Thomas Fluharty said...

Funny bro. Great piece under pressure. ~T

7:33 PM  
Blogger ramanjit said...

hi sir,
very very nice!!!!!!!!!
come to my blog
i need your guidenc.

9:19 AM  
Blogger ...Larry said...

Nice piece, Jason...very well done, very impressive!!!

daaaaahd

11:33 PM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

Great piece!!

6:13 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks guys . . . these quick turnarounds are great for helping me grow as an artist . . . I rarely like what I do when I have so little time, but I think it's a fun thing to share, helps keep me humble. One thing I just realized which is going to drive me absolutely nuts . . . something I was going to do near the end but forgot. I should have added some violets and cools that you see on his right side of face . . . should have added that to his right arm in the shadows and what not. DARN IT ALL.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Jay Farley said...

I see what you were talking about with the background. This looks great. I definately need to figure out a way to get faster with Photoshop painting. I know you want to perfect everything you do but less is more sometimes (quote Ms. Burkhart lol). I wish I could do something this good as fast as you did it.

9:58 PM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Wow, a one day turnaround? Now THAT'S what I call tight!!! It's really amazing Jason. It has a lovely 'sketchy' feel to it. By the way, would you recommend Sketchbook Pro? Also, is this version the full resolution you were working on?

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners