Wednesday, April 06, 2011

The Incredible Shrinking Budget!



New cover I painted this week. This one was a lot of fun to do, and as usual, these turnarounds are fairly quick. I started sketches and ideas on Friday and the final was due the following Tuesday! I really enjoy doing these covers for the Observer, this is my third cover for them and I hope to do many more!



Close up crop of my final art.



Detail of Bloomie. Because I knew he would be printed quite small on the cover, I didn't bother painting him too large. I always paint larger than the print size . . . but on this one, I decided to keep it fairly loose and simple . . . it's perhaps a bit more cartoony, which I thought was fun to do.





This is my first, very rough thumbnail. This was done in about 5 minutes, just putting down lines quickly, giving birth to the idea . . . it's easier for me to get it out and then develop it more as I go.



The idea begins to form . . .



Still developing the idea and composition . . .



Steps, from initial head sketch to block in of color . . .



Rough head studies . . .

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Stahl said...

Amazing work... thank you for sharing your process. Very interesting !

11:58 AM  
Blogger Dominic Philibert said...

Well done man!

12:25 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Thanks for breaking it down Jason - a lot to learn and observe. Great cover work!

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Loic Zimmermann said...

it's always very cool to see how you get there. Great job, again !
Cheers
Z.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Love it dude! This one is really fun to look at, on top of being expertly painted.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Dio said...

I think even very nice work.
If you have the time would be a pleasure to receive your visit in my blog.
http://diovaneilustracoes.blogspot.com/

2:47 PM  
Blogger Daniel Domingos said...

Very good, Jason!!
Congratulations!

6:21 PM  
Blogger rwpike said...

Brilliant work Jason!!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous j said...

Your digital painting skills are powerful indeed.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, great cover!

3:35 AM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Hey Jason, wonderful final piece and also love the way the guy in the background is slightly out of focus! Amazing stuff!

4:23 AM  
Blogger Alberto Russo said...

Awesome! Great process.

3:47 AM  
Blogger teguh wibowo said...

Titip artikel ya obat sipilis

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners